Sunday, December 11, 2005

I'm trying to be...

...somebody I'm not. I'm kidding myself. The person who I want to be is definately not me. I'm somebody else. two different people: ego and superego. facticity and transendance. Anyone who is not dead is tryingt be somebody they are not. Now, we have different ways of going about it, but we're all trying to be somebody we're not.

why wouldn't we? if we were just going to be ourselves, what fun is that? after all, if you're completely content, why bother? is that what life is about? being content? fuck contentment. i want adventure, passion, seduction, and other buzzwords to sell movies, except maybe horror movies. i don't want my life to be "disturbing"...


...well, maybe a little.

picture yourself as your imaginary hero. imaging someone who doesn't exist: a legend. a luke skywalker or indiana jones. a neo. hey, maybe a real person: noam chomsky. che guavara. benjamin franklin. henry david thoreau.

what is it about these people that make us admire them? it wasn't their abilities. there are a lot of people who have the same abilities (except maybe neo, i guess, but i digress). it was there drive, the carisma, the identity. it was who they were not what they could do. their accomplishments had to do with a greater picture of who they were. their identity. now, their identity has to do with their behavior, so what they did was important, but we need to differential their accomplishments with their behavior. ok, sorry if i've taken you into semantics hell. i didn't mean it.

what i mean to say is that a person's identity has more to do with his day to day behavior: his drive. how he looks at the world. how he treats other people. his sense of himself. (forgive me for not saying "him/herself" but I don't want to take anybody to pronoun hell, either). the accomplishments he may have made are direct descendants of his identity. the accomplishments, while important, serve to identify the more important questions of who they were. accomplishments serve the soul as well, as re-enforcements of our believe about ourself. "We are what we do", we think. in a sense (the existentialist view that we are, at least in part, what other people think we are, as that is just as much a part of reality as our own perception).

but we're all here to do what we're all here to do: to be somebody we're not. Me, I'm fighting the world, one abstraction at a time. I'm finding new ways of lying to myself, or fighting for the truth, depending on your perspective. I want to be someone I'm not: I want to be God. And so do you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home